Friday, February 22, 2013

Stepping into the Future

Is anyone else totally overwhelmed by the speed of our technology? 
(Please say "yes" so I don't feel so old!)
Remember this family and all the amazing things THEY could do?
 Now think about what we've got going on! 

I am in the market for a new laptop so the Mr. and I went browsing yesterday while we had some kid-free time. I am so totally baffled. I am barely up to speed with my smart phone and Nook tablet, let alone figuring out a touch-screen laptop! And yet at the same time I find it extremely exciting to explore, learn and find new treasures to help educate our kiddos. The big pressure is that I have to stay on top of things in order to be able to teach and keep up with the things that our kiddos need to learn.

We live in an amazing time. But also it is filled with SO many things that we need to be careful of. It is my goal to learn and make use of the tools provided in order that they will:

  1. ENRICH our lives for the better.
  2. PROVIDE a way to optimize our time.
  3. NURTURE our love for learning.
  4. ADVANCE our knowledge.
  5. INFORM us of our surroundings so we can make wise decisions.
  6. SUPPORT our relationships with family and friends through all the ways we can communicate.
  7. ENJOY in a safe and uplifting way.
I really want to stay away from:

  1. DISTRACTION from the things that are important: GOD and FAMILY.
  2. WASTE filling in our time with things that do not benefit us.
  3. BECOMING reliant. It is still important to know how to do things the old fashion way.
  4. DISCONNECTING us from the need for verbal communication.
  5. KEEPING us from getting out into nature and the sun, and just unplugging for awhile.

I really hope that I am strong enough to keep to these goals and to direct my family to the same thing. It is exciting to see how far we have come in just my lifetime and mind boggling to think of where it might take us in our kiddos lifetime.

What do you think?

Happy Day!

1 comment:

  1. I hear you! I have a kindle fire thanks to my mother-in-law and we got iphones both in the past year. I did have an older kindle that I bought about a year before that and have passed on to Brianna, but I feel like the technology is never slow enough to catch up to. We also feel it is a fine line between useful and overly used. I try to stay offline as much as possible, but it still sucks up huge amounts of time regardless.

    ReplyDelete